Privacy and Security
- Digital River, one of the most trusted names in e-commerce and Web-based technology, respects the privacy of our partners, clients and their customers. Any and all information collected at this site, within the Digital River Commerce Network Server (CNS) and the Database Security System (DSS), is held with the utmost care and will not be used in ways not consented to.
What Information do we collect? How do we use it?
When ordering from any of our partner sites, Digital River must collect the purchaser’s name, email address, mailing address, credit card number, and expiration date. This allows us to process and fulfill orders and provide notification of the order status.
When entering a contest, sweepstakes or other promotional feature, Digital River may ask for the entrant’s name, address and email address in order to administer the contest and notify winners.
Digital River may use the information we collect to notify our partners’ customers about important functionality changes to the Web sites and/or special offers. For any purchaser who does not want to receive this information, please refer to the detailed instructions included in every offer.
How does Digital River protect customer information?
Customers who buy through the Digital River system are shopping on a secure server, which encrypts all of the customer’s personal information including name, address and credit card number. Encryption ensures that no one can access or use personal information in an unauthorized manner.
A clear opt-out option is available on any customer-service or client e-mail Digital River sends.
Our commerce system was developed in-house with security as it's number one priority. Digital River's DSS is designed so that there is no direct access to the commerce database – all transactions are controlled through a single entry point. In essence, the DSS is a gatekeeper which controls the flow of information between the commerce database and the end-user. This single entry point allows Digital River to maintain the tightest access control – eliminating (rather than closing) the backdoor.
Digital River has made an investment in protecting our clients’ and customers’ information utilizing the following technologies:
Firewalls allow the use of authenticated access and can prevent certain types of traffic from entering the private network. Customizing the firewall according to the network topology is essential to having a useful firewall protection mechanism.
SSL (Secure Socket Layers)
Because we accept sensitive information from end-users such as passwords and credit card numbers, Digital River’s site uses SSL. This logic encrypts the data being sent to the server from the browser using high-level encryption technology. Once the data is received from customers on the Digital River Network, it may be required that the data be maintained for a certain period of time inside our private network. Encrypting the data means it cannot be viewed in plain text.
What about cookies?
"Cookies" are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. Digital River’s cookies are used only to identify the customer, not to identify any specific customer traits. This allows us to maintain consistency in the shopping basket and enable a more pleasant shopping experience.
Digital River’s Privacy Guarantee
- Digital River will never rent or sell our customer’s and client’s information to third parties.
Note: Digital River does not control how our partners use their customers’ information. Please refer to our individual partner sites for their privacy statements.
At Digital River, we believe in permission-based, email marketing. That's why:
- every order placed on a commerce site within the Digital River network provides the customer with the opportunity to notify us whether or not they would like to receive future information, special offers, and communications via email.
- every email served by Digital River on behalf of our clients contains an opportunity for the customer to decline future communications.
- client-specific and network-wide suppression files are maintained at Digital River to ensure that only those customers interested in receiving communications do so.
Still more questions? Back to Main Help Page
- What is the Digital River Secure and Virus Free Guarantee?
- Your shopping safety is guaranteed! Shop with confidence knowing that you are totally protected when you order through any Digital River network member. We go the extra mile to protect you:
- Digital River Guarantees that you pay nothing if any unauthorized charges are made to your card as a result of shopping with us.
- Digital River Guarantees that every software download from us will be 100% Virus Free.
- Digital River Guarantees that all information that you provide while shopping is encrypted so no one can access or use personal information in an unauthorized manner.
So, rest assured, the Digital River Secure & Virus Free Guarantee provides the ultimate in shopping protection and peace of mind!
- Credit Card Protection
Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, your bank cannot hold you liable for more than $50.00 of fraudulent charges. If your bank does hold you liable for any of this $50.00, Digital River will cover the entire liability for you, up to the full $50.00. Digital River will cover this liability only if the unauthorized use of your credit card resulted through no fault of your own from purchases made through a Digital River network member while using the Digital River secure server.In the event of unauthorized use of your credit card, you must notify your credit card provider in accordance with its reporting rules and procedures.
- Virus Protection
In the unlikely event your software download from a Digital River network member contains a virus, Digital River agrees to either replace the affected software or refund the purchase price plus any shipping costs associated with the affected software.Digital River's liability is limited to replacement or refund of only the virus-infected software downloaded from a Digital River network member and does not include any costs associated with repairing or replacing any computer components, hardware, additional software, computer files or any other costs associated with repairing, replacing or removing virus-infected files from your computer. Digital River will cover this liability only if the virus resulted through no fault of your own from purchases made through a Digital River network member while using the Digital River secure server.
- Data Encryption
Because we accept sensitive information from end-users such as name, address and credit card number, Digital River uses Verisign™:Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to protect all of the customer's personal information.This logic encrypts the data being sent and received using high-level encryption technology. This technology assigns undetectable codes to data transmissions that only our server and the consumers can validate.This ensures that no external party can view the data.
Still more questions? Back to Main Help Page